Saturday 26 July 2014

The Transfăgărășan Mountain Pass

Saturday (26/07)

Yesterday all the bikes set off to ride to Constanta on the Romanaian coast. As I was still blowing fuses I stopped to buy more spares and try to find out the root cause. After an hour of sweltering heat I found a wickedly sharp P-clip that holds the wiring loom behind the headlamp that had cut through the loom, which was shorting my headlamp when I turned the handlebar to the right!
After removing the clip and replacing it with some loose tie-wraps, I deemed it as a completely reasonable repair.

Geoff and Mike had gone on ahead looking for a bike shop and unfortunately Mike had taken my USB charger which was a pain because when it came time to find them my phone was dead!
Unable to contact them, we decided to ride through the Transfăgărășan Mountain Pass as it is supposed to be one of the best roads in the world.
My verdict; it is the best road in the world, but has the worst surface which seems to be standard for Romanian roads.

The whole ride through the mountain cost us about 4 hours on top of the expected 6-7 hours to Constanta, so eventually we ran out of steam in a fairly nasty service area and decided that staying alive was better than pushing on through the night.

We were soon camped out with a couple of Rally cars beset with problems; an overheated Micra and a Polo with a failing CV joint).
Our dinner was service-station grilled chicken and salad, while we were the dinner of mosquitoes and enterprising snappy dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment