Monday 21 July 2014

So it begins!

Sunday 20th July

It's the first day of the Mongol Rally and it was a pretty full on day. After on 4 hours of sleep due to last minute running around at home, we all set off for Battersea Park at about 5:30am to join the Khanival!
Safety first!
My co-pilot dog Captain Scarlett (a late addition passenger from my daughter) got loads of attention and has continued to be a talking point everywhere I go.
The atmosphere at the launch was fantastic with about 300 cars and 7 bikes all ready to parade through London. The start was every bit as chaotic as a Mongol Rally should be; cars broke down after doing through over the ramp and the parade through London splintered into random driving by Trafalgar square and I quickly lost all of the other bikes.
The exhaust-killing ramp
Team Khan't Stop Now



















Rather than waiting, I pushed on to the M20 and soon found Stephen from Lock Stock and 3 Smoking Barrels on the hard shoulder near Maidstone. Major engine surgery had already started so I only stayed long enough to offer supportive words, then carried on to the Channel Tunnel. After a short stop chatting with some proper bikers with great big BMW GS 1200's, I joined the train and was soon in France.
The ride down to Reims was about three hours, punctuated by a couple of monster thunderstorms that soaked me through.

Early evening found me outside a very basic F1 hotel, with more touring Brit bikers, and opposite was an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, where I attempted to eat the entire buffet, including the unlimited ice-cream and jasmine tea for 17 euros!
This has been an excellent end to a long hard day.

Missing home and my family, but my head is gloriously full of bikes, adventure and planning rather than work stress.
I tried to find Max and the boys in London, but failed, so I hope to hear from them before I go to the Czech Republic.

Thanks to all of you who have donated so generously and special thanks to Tony for your message - looking forward to seeing everyone in six weeks!

Tomorrow is Germany via the low north Alps and up to Nürburgring to try and get a lap of the famous circuit - if my co-pilot can handle the map reading!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you & your co-pilot are having a blast

    ReplyDelete