Sunday 26 July 2015

Mongol Rally 2015, Day 7, 25/07

So on Saturday morning bright and early, my lovely wife drove me to the airport to catch a flight to Warsaw where I had left my bike a month ago with another bike friend; Anna Wozniak.

Warsaw was in the middle of a heat wave with temperatures on the motorways of up to 38C - wow not expecting that, as the UK was dull and raining when I left.

Anna was at home, so it was great to spend a bit of time finding out about her - turns out that she has a semi medical background like me and works for Glaxo as a sales rep selling Asthma drugs.

Bike was still in great condition, I had a moments scare when it would not start, but had forgotten that the side stand cuts the ignition if down. After leaving a gift with Anna and the security guards, I set off to try and ride from Warsaw to Vilnius in Lithuania, I did not get far - Warsaw is a nightmare to escape and I spent an hour going in very hot circles not able to find the right motorway.
Eventually I asked a biker who I spotted on a large Suzuki and he offered to lead me out of town - really grateful as both me and the bike were getting very overheated.

Once moving things improved; my air jacket is brilliant, but the poor little XR was not happy above 50 mph so I had to go easy all day.

I eventually made it to Vilinius but late at night, then the Downtown Forest Hostel eluded discovery until gone midnight! Too late to go for supper so the whole day's food was a pain choco in airport and a hotdog in last service station, the Hostel sold bottled beer so I bought a cold Tuborg and was soon in bed out cold.

Total miles for the day after 12+ hours riding was a disappointing 333M (533 KM)



No comments:

Post a Comment